First Unitarian Church of Rochester, NY
First Unitarian Church, a progressive, inclusive, and engaged congregation in Rochester, NY, is seeking a part-time, hourly, Lead Sexton. Our Unitarian Universalist congregation is explicitly (if imperfectly) anti-racist, LGBTQ+ affirming, and theologically diverse.
As our Lead Sexton your work is critical to the success of our programming. From ensuring tables and chairs are where they need to be, when they need to be, to cleaning toilets; your work provides the foundation for the success of our ministries.
The right person for this job will enjoy physical work and be a self-starter. Vaccination against COVID 19 is required. Prior customer service experience is a plus. We have fun, we work hard, we rest and take vacation from time to time, and we are driven by our congregation’s mission, values and ends.
This position is approximately 30 hours per week, typically 8:00 AM – 2:30 PM Wednesday through Saturday and 7:00AM – 2:30 PM on Sunday. However, the days and hours may change based on the needs of the congregation and the weather. This person must be available on weekends. This position is eligible for benefits.
- Support all ministries of the church by ensuring a well-maintained, clean environment for church programs and services.
- Assure room set ups are completed on a timely basis.
- Serve as a leader of the Facilities Maintenance team which may include volunteers, custodial staff, janitorial contractors, lawn and garden contractors, etc.
- Review facilities calendar and develop a schedule for cleaning, maintenance, and event set up and take down. Communicate schedule to other members of the team.
- Work with and support volunteer members of the Facilities team.
- Ensure the building is cleaned, stocked and rubbish removed as needed.
- Ensure facilities are set up and ready for events, including furniture and AV equipment.
- Ensure the safety of parking lots and walkways including snow removal when necessary.
- Develop and implement a facilities maintenance program which includes lighting, floor care, roof maintenance, storm window installation and removal, etc.
- Maintain supply inventory and coordinate with vendors. Process invoices for payment.
- Ability to climb stairs, lift 50 lbs
- Already are or are willing to be fully vaccinated for COVID 19
- Well organized and capable of working independently.
- Observant. Notices details. You notice the cobweb in the corner, the burned out light bulb, and the stain on the carpet and put them on your to-do list to address.
- Collaboration: Works with your fellow staff members with an attitude of learning, humility, honesty, and enthusiasm. Gives and receives feedback within the team.
- Initiative and Agility: Demonstrates ambition for the congregation and our mission; oriented to opportunity and action and full of energy for things seen as challenging. Able to make small changes to improve processes as you go and also conceive of systematic solutions to recurring needs and think strategically and long-term.
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director of Operations
Compensation: $18.00 – $20.00/hour, based on experience
Position Open Until Filled
People with disabilities, BIPOC, and LGBTQ+ candidates are encouraged to apply. First Unitarian Church is committed to developing a diverse and talented staff team. If you are excited about this role but are unsure whether you meet 100% of the requirements, we encourage you to inquire.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]