First Unitarian Church of Rochester, NY
First Unitarian Church, a progressive, inclusive, and engaged congregation in Rochester, NY, is seeking a part-time, hourly, Custodian. Our Unitarian Universalist congregation is explicitly (if imperfectly) anti-racist, LGBTQ+ affirming, and theologically diverse.
As our Custodian your work is critical to the success of our programming. From ensuring tables and chairs are where they need to be, when they need to be, to cleaning toilets; your work provides the foundation for the success of our ministries.
The right person for this job will enjoy physical work and be a self-starter. Prior customer service experience is a plus. We have fun, we work hard, and we are driven by our congregation’s mission, values and ends.
This position is usually 19 hours per week, typically Sunday, 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Monday and Tuesday 7:00 AM – 1:00 PM. However, the days and hours may change based on the needs of the congregation. This person must be available on Sundays.
- Work closely with Lead Sexton to support all ministries of the church by ensuring a well maintained, clean environment for church programs and services.
- Set up and take down furnishings and equipment as needed for scheduled events.
- Ensure the building is cleaned, stocked and rubbish removed including daily cleaning of restrooms.
- Ensure the safety of parking lots and walkways including snow removal when necessary.
- Ability to climb stairs, lift 50 lbs
- COVID 19 vaccination is required.
- Well organized and capable of working independently.
- Collaboration: Work with your fellow Facilities staff members with an attitude of learning, humility, honesty, and enthusiasm. Gives and receives feedback within the team.
- Initiative and Agility: Demonstrates ambition for the congregation and our mission; oriented to opportunity and action and full of energy for things seen as challenging. Able to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Punctual and Reliable: We are a small staff and rely on each of us pulling together to ensure all tasks are completed.
- Familiarity with typical custodial tasks.
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director of Operations
Position Open Until Filled
People with disabilities, BIPOC, and LGBTQ+ candidates are encouraged to apply. First Unitarian Church is committed to developing a diverse and talented staff team. If you are excited about this role but are unsure whether you meet 100% of the requirements, we encourage you to inquire.
To apply: Please tell us how you are qualified for this position in a message to [email protected].