Unitarian Universalist Animal Ministries Of Rochester NY
a Local Chapter of the National UUAM
(http://www.uua.org/ufeta) since May 2010,
and a 2011-12 Task Force of our church
Our mission is to heighten awareness of and respect for animals,
as they are sentient beings with their own language,
and an inherent right to their lives.
UUnAMOR seeks to lead others in ways to live in harmony with animals.
UUnAMOR calls for an end to oppression for all beings.
We are 7th Principle Advocates:
"Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part."
UUnAMOR wishes to address ways to coexist with animals so as not to be complicit in their exploitation. The oppression so many animals are forced to endure becomes accepted as a societal norm when we turn a blind eye to their plight. We must look beyond our human comfort-zone, versus a silent and unknowing complicity in abuse of animals. UUnAMOR will work to raise our collective consciousness around human attitudes toward animals, to promote greater compassion and ways to eliminate animal suffering. Our goal is to increase awareness of animal exploitation within our communities, and to find ways to shift from the dominant world view that commodifies land and objectifies living things. UUnAMOR advocates nonviolence, and our objective is to weave the Seventh UU Principle consistently into our church's events and practices.
As a 2010-11 Task Force, some ideas we have in mind for our church include:
- Vigils for Animals
- Raising Funds for animal guardians needing assistance for their animal companion (to be processed through a local charity)
- Provide animal-free alternatives at our UU's dining events (Vegan and cruelty-free)
- Dining out together at area Veg-locations
- Book club, Discussion Groups, Films, and/or Classes on animals issues
- Hosting Guest speakers (ie: on connections between advocacy for humans-earth-animals, plant-based diet, wildlife rehabilitators ...)
- Letter-writing campaigns ... regarding animal issues
- a Service For the Animals (some weekend), plus decor
- Field trips (e.g. to Farm Sanctuary)
UUnAMOR is for people who love animals. To join, one does not need to be Vegan or vegetarian (Note: we will never promote using animal products), nor does one have to be a UU member. All that is necessary to join UUnAMOR is a genuine love of and respect for the lives of all nonhumans. Be among those within our local congregation speaking up for the animals.
Lois Baum, UUnAMOR chair | email
July 20 2012